Wednesday 3 July 2013

Why Harry Potter Is Always Right

Harry Potter for me is like all the good bits of religion without all the bad bits. It's good over evil without man over woman, it's light over dark without light skin over dark skin, it's morality over rigidity. To clarify, this post is not about religion, it's about Harry Potter, or more accurately the world J.K. Rowling created to exemplify the duality of mankind and the difficulty in being more good than bad (for some, it is a religion...just sayin').

When I think about this quotation, I think about Hitler. The man had charisma and leadership. He effected change, he motivated thousands, he united his people. If he hadn't murdered millions and started World War II, he may have been recognized as one of the world's greatest leaders. You know who else did all of that, minus genocide and war? Martin Luther King Jr. He too had charisma and leadership, he too united his people and motivated thousands and effected change, but he left behind a beautiful legacy. They are a prime example of choices over abilities. 

This is a great quotation too. I think the only thing to point out here is that Sirius Black (R.I.P) is talking about social hierarchy and not actual importance. It's about perceived power, not actual priority. You can find similarities to this quotation in the bible as well, if actual religion and not Harry Potter worship is your thing. The Good Samaritan is a great example of treating your inferior with respect. Buddy did not just pass by his dying enemy on the road; he helped him and nurtured him to health. Now that is a class act. 
Is it cool to be a jerk to your waiter? Nope. Is it a good idea to harass a lone female in a male-dominated work place (or ever)? Not a chance. Is it fun to haze rookies or frosh? Kind of, but still it's not right if they're not willing participants. I myself elected to be froshed to pieces in Rothermere, my residence in Nfld, but it would have been dead wrong to frosh the people who didn't want to take cold showers, have their heads dunked in toilets, or eat warm beer and cereal (breakfast of champions anyone?). Bottom line is it's just not cool guys! Unfortunately for Sirius Black he didn't heed his own advice, and the mistreatment of the house elf Kreacher led to his untimely death. I'm not saying you're going to die if you're not nice...but karma is indeed a bitch. 

This one is a good one but also a crappy one. Doing what is easy is just so...easy. Ugh. Why can't everything be easy and also right? Them's the breaks. In a not-incredibly-important example, I recently moved home with my parents. It was definitely the easier choice. I was saving money, had access to a vehicle (sometimes even the convertible!) and didn't have to buy groceries or anything like that. 

I lasted 4 weeks.

It was not right for me. The far more difficult, but right path is what I'm on now. Living on my own, paying rent and utilities and groceries and ohmygodmypaychequeisgone. It's harder, but I'm almost 24 and I need to be on my own, make my own rules, and find out that I really am a slob for life. Not saying it's the right choice for everyone, but it was for me. Like my older brother said, at some point I need to decide how much I'm willing to bend for my parents' rules and regulations. When I can't bend any further, it's time to break out (and yes, it did indeed feel  like prison). Dumbledore, you rock man.

Last quotation! Maybe if you want it to be relevant to your life and you're not obsessed with Harry Potter, you should switch out Death Eaters for bad people. This basically exemplifies the duality of mankind. I am not all good. I am also not all bad. I'm a huge advocate for equality but I sometimes slip and say "that's gay". I feel like an idiot afterwards but it still happens occasionally. Just last night I ate a piece of clodhopper that missed my bag at the Bulk Barn (such a rebel, I know). I'm proud about my ability to voice my opinion but sometimes I'm so loud that no one else gets to say anything (just ask my mother-daughter book club from my middle school days). This goes back to something I recently discovered; our greatest strengths can also be our greatest weaknesses. Shyness can be crippling, but it can mean a thoughtful and concentrated mind. Being goal oriented is wonderful but can lead to tunnel vision to the point of ignorance of all else. Being charming may result in little substance under the surface. The best thing we can do for ourselves is figure out our flaws and work on them. Recognize our weaknesses and turn them into strengths. Reel back our strengths to prevent them from becoming weaknesses. 
And try to be more good than bad.

Shoutout to J.K Rowling for being a genius, since Albus Dumbledore and Sirius Black are actually her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment