Monday 24 June 2013

My Emotions Do Not Replace My Intelligence; They Fuel It.

"If you choose to use your status and influence to raise your voice on behalf of those who have no voice; if you choose to identify not only with the powerful, but with the powerless; if you retain the ability to imagine yourself into the lives of those who do not have your advantages, then it will not only be your proud families who celebrate your existence, but thousands and millions of people whose reality you have helped change. We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better."
-J.K.Rowling

(except I actually enjoyed Twilight: confession time)
Rowling you beautiful woman, that's what I'm trying to do. As you can tell from the title of this blog, and my very first post, I have been allotted several privileges in my life. I feel a moral obligation to use my luck in life to help others, to be a support when there may be none. I completed my Sexual Assault Response Team training this weekend, and when we were talking about defining what an advocate is (in reference to being in the hospital with a survivor of sexual assault), all I could think of was a shield. I am a strong person, I was gifted my strength from who knows where but I am a strong person. If I can throw myself in front of a bus for someone (and when I say bus, I mean: hateful, ignorant, blaming, minimizing statements and actions) then I will do so without hesitation every single time. Just ask my brothers: if they were in a fight with my parents growing up, I would run down from my room to defend them every single time, and most times end up taking the heat myself. One of my childhood best buddies was a bully in elementary school and I used to jump in front of his victims. It’s a part of who I am and while some people dismiss me as “emotional” or “dramatic”, I love that part of me (also, FYI my emotions do not replace my intelligence; they fuel it). Say what you will, but I have never regretted getting burned while protecting someone else from the fire.

Best tea ever (you're welcome M.M.)
I know that this isn't everyone’s cup of tea, but I would urge you to find your own beverage of choice. If my thing is Earl Grey (shielding), maybe yours is Orange Pekoe (fundraising?) or Chamomile (education?) or Green (organization?). Yes, I know that metaphor went on too long, but it’s not like I gave you the David’s Tea list and it’s over now anyways so you can relax (with a cup of tea! Jokes).

Maybe not everyone feels this urge to somehow give back, to use their good fortune in life to help others. I would be curious to know why. It’s like that legendary commercial said, “nobody’s good at everything, but everybody’s good at something! (commercial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef5JUZ-lYEQ) Use your talent for some good! It doesn't matter if you love baking, music, math (what?), running, etc, it can be used for GOOD.

Not goodness eh? Are you sure? You could be great you know, it’s all here, in your head. And goodness will help you on the way to greatness, there’s no doubt about that! No? Well if you’re sure…better be…GRYFFINDOR! (please substitute goodness for Slytherin and you have Harry being sorted from the first movie…I couldn't resist). 

No comments:

Post a Comment