Thursday 2 April 2015

Advice for 15 year old Rachael, from 25 year old Rachael

      
Ten years' difference here
(left = now, right = then)
(hard to tell)

Sometimes people talk about how they “came into their own” in high school or university or grad school or their thirties or twenties or whatever. When people talk about me, it’s more about acknowledging that I’ve been the me that I am since I exited the womb. And it’s mostly true. I have, however, learned a few valuable lessons about life and about myself along the way that I sometimes wish I could tell my teenage me I started keeping a list of some pro-tips for my youthful self. Here they are: 






Advice for my high school self:

  1. Acne – that shit is not temporary. I am now 25, still fighting the good fight. So try to find a solution a little earlier in life (Nivea cream works great for you/us).
  2. The era of leggings is fast approaching; you only have to put up with jeans for a couple more years.
  3. Your blonde hair is gorgeous, do not dye it dark brown. You don’t know this, but when you’re 17 you melt half of it off. Wasn’t a great move.
  4. About boys – just keep doing what you’re doing. When you’re older you’ll realize you did everything for you and not them, and you will LOVE that about yourself.
  5. Those other girls in your school? Turns out they are not bitches. Turns out girls aren’t all “bitches” the second we disagree with them. So weird.
  6. Rachel McAdams was right – “fetch” really doesn’t ever become a thing.
  7. Only one friend is ever going to call you Ray, so stop trying to make that happen.
  8. Some of your teachers really are idiots, and that’s okay. You know who the good ones are.
  9. High school actually DOES matter – don’t believe those people who said it doesn’t. Your current boss went to high school with you.
  10. Are you ready for this? It’s going to blow you away: You’re not fat.
  11. You are going to start identifying as a feminist very soon, congratulations. This makes you awesome.
  12. You are going to meet three best friends in university. They are crazy. They are insane. They are wild. You LOVE them. They love you.
  13. You’re engaged (holy shit right? Totally didn’t see this coming).
  14. Don’t wait until fourth year university to buy a straightener. Good lord, what were you waiting for?
  15. Your brothers are still buffoons (so are you).
  16. You 100% cannot live without music, without singing. It’s okay boo. You gotta do you.
  17. Elope! Just kidding...I think.
  18. A lot of people belittle the emotions of teenage girls, but don’t ever diminish your own feelings.
  19. That being said, whatever you’re worried about right now, I can promise you it’s going to be okay. We are doing just fine.
  20. When people tell you it’s too soon to get a dog, ignore them. Our dog is the best decision we ever made.
  21. That guy you’re currently hopelessly in love with? You get over it eventually. He ain’t the one.
  22. Mom and Dad knew about all the parties. They are cooler than you give them credit for.
  23. No one can take away your education, your professional successes, or your experiences. These are incorruptible, and when you start to tie your confidence to these instead of silly and subjective things like looks and likeability, you find out what genuine confidence really is. Then it, too, becomes incorruptible. 
Now I have to read over this advice, and wonder what my 35 year old self would be telling me right now. What am I stressing unnecessarily about? What insecurities am I toiling over that are 90% fictional? What am I going to carry with me? What’s going to matter in ten years? Are jeans making a comeback? Questions for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment